Pages

Saturday, December 25, 2010

For the Love of St. Nick

Merry Christmas!

I have a special bonus treat for everyone that has been following Garasamo Maccagnone's St. John of the Midfield virtual tour. I had intended to post my review of For the Love of St. Nick, a Christmas story by Garasamo Maccagnone. Instead, I have been moved by Mac's story, to dedicate this post to the men and women of the US Armed forces at home and abroad, by sharing an excerpt from the book.

Told from a narrative perspective by the oldest of two sons, For the love of St. Nick is a story of faith and love that is perfect for Christmas. Garasamo once again captures the experience and joy of childhood in this moving story of brotherly love and faith.  I was transported to Christmas past, Michigan winters, childhood fears and faith.


Author: Garasamo Maccagnone

Book Title: For the Love of St. Nick
ISBN-10: 1439210128
ISBN-13: 978-1439210123
Publisher: BookSurge Publishing (October 7, 2008)
Link to purchase

Synopsis:
Two boys who have lost their mother tragically, worry they'll never see their father,a Naval Commander, after he embarks on a secret mission with the United States military.


For the Love of St. Nick, Excerpt: Page 31-33

Before we could go, all the men insisted we make snow angels in the clearing. That's when Lieutenant Morrison told the group, "Make em big so we can see em from the sky. It's the first thing we'll look for when we return." While the men weren't paying attention to us, Lieutenant Morrison leaned over on his side and waited for Johnny and me to finish making our angels.


"Boys, boys," he said twice in order to get our attention. Johnny and I popped up to see what he wanted to say to us. Lieutenant Morrison bit his lip, then spoke to us. "I'm bringing him home to you. Don't worry. He'll be home before Christmas I promise."


"You promise?" I asked.


"Scouts honor?" Johnny inquisitively asked.


"Yes, yes, scouts honor."


"How will we know he's close?"


"I'll send you a signal."


"What kind of signal?"


"I'm going to buzz your cabin."


"What does that mean?"


Lieutenant Morrison turned back to see if the other men were listening. Realizing they were not, he turned back to us and said, "You"ll know when he's near. I'm going to fly so low, it'll sound like a freight train coming through the middle of your cabin."


"Pinky promise?" Johnny asked. Lieutenant Morrison put out his pinky. The three of us joined our pinky fingers in a deal-making pact.


"Pinky promise. You boys got a deal," said Lieutenant Morrison.

**************

1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas!

    I see that you don't sleep either.

    Peace


    Mac

    ReplyDelete