Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Kiss Me Quick Before I Shoot: A Filmmaker's Journey into the Lights of Hollywood and True Love

Book Title: Kiss Me Quick Before I Shoot
Subtitle: A Filmmaker's Journey into the Lights of Hollywood and True Love
Author: Guy Magar
ISBN: 978-0982866344
www.kissmequickbeforeishoot.com
Genre: Memoir/Filmaking
Publisher: Sea Script Company; First edition (May 4, 2011)
Reviewer: Vonnie Faroqui,  for Writers In The Sky


Kiss Me Quick Before I Shoot, is Hollywood filmmaker Guy Magar’s memoir detailing his journey from child immigrant, through college, years of filmmaking, and love along the way to becoming an accomplished director, writer and producer. In an industry known to gloss and glamorize a turd until it looks appealing, this book is being given all the best hype and promotional backing you might imagine the autobiography of a recognizable celebrity and talent would get. However, in this case the hype is REAL. Kiss Me Quick Before I Shoot deserves every bit of praise and recognition it gets and more.

Guy Magar's, Kiss Me Quick Before I Shoot
For those of us that love the movies or have ever dreamed of, aspired to, danced around, or dived into a career in motion pictures or television, Kiss Me Quick is a “director’s cut” commentary of life on the road to and inside the industry. When I read Guy’s recollections and experiences, I wept just thinking of all the hopeful seekers and dreamers struggling for a break that never get one. The detailed behind-the-scenes knowledge and wisdom he so generously shares is beyond priceless to any aspiring film or television talent seeking entry into the industry. This is “must” reading for acting and directing students seeking film and television careers. Theater and film school do not prepare you for the cold reality of the industry, but Guy’s conversational and revealing memoir sure will.

Readers looking for a Hollywood fix, an insider’s candid perspective on breaking into the business or stories of life among the stars will lock themselves behind closed doors to indulge their celluloid passions with this master story teller. I think I’m in love. Too bad Guy is taken. Which leads me to another aspect of this book, which I think places it a cut above other memoirs and books of its genre. Kiss Me Quick is more than a Hollywood success story, it also relates the very real human drama and love story between Guy and his wife, Jacqui; sharing intimate details of her diagnosis with Leukemia and of the trial medical treatments that saved her life. Guy opens his heart and with incredible spirit, courage, and candor shares it all.

The creativity and passion which infuses Guy’s film work also comes through in his writing. Kiss Me Quick Before I Shoot has all the excitement , flare, human interest , and drama Hollywood promises the hopeful, with a measure of reality, and God’s grace thrown in. Both of my thumbs are up for Magar’s Kiss Me Quick Before I Shoot. Hand me the popcorn. I am reading that again.


Join Me on Friday July 1, 2011, as I host a 
Writers In The Sky Podcast interview with Guy Magar!



This review will be featured at www.TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com on July 4, 2011! Many Thanks for spreading the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment