Starting a marketing strategy before the book is written can benefit the creative process.
- Plan to meet your target audience's needs from the start.
- Build interest and plot themed hooks into your story or material, usable themes which will open up marketing angles in the future.
- Is your book of a self help nature, or does it have an element or theme that could be used to attract related interest groups?
- Knowing your audience wants may lead you to write in or material suggestive of marketing venues and purchase incentive opportunities.
- It allows you to bring your audience into the creative process, through blogging, "chat"-ter, forum activity, collaborative challenges and competitions.
- Having an interested reader base before you go to print can encourage creative output, and editorial excellence.